Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Next-Gen Sequencing Software Technology Clinic

I usually don't attend these type of things. For one, I have enough work to do at my real job during the day. Half the time these are just marketing things anyway. When they're not, then I prefer to just read something, which takes far less time than sitting on the phone. I attended today's because it was hosted by Kevin Davies, author of "The $1000 Genome" book, which I am considering purchasing.

Speakers:

1. Chris Dwan, BioTeam

http://blog.bioteam.net/

2. Tom Downey, Partek, Inc., St. Louis

www.partek.com

for copy of slides: inquire@partek.com

3. Matthew Kayser, DNASTAR

Product lines focused on desktop computer

4. Michael Kuzyk, GenoLogics

RapidScripting API

www.genologics.com

5. Clifford Baron, Accelrys

accelrys.com

Complexity of data analysis are greatest hurdle to $1000 genome

Some terms to research:

reads -- short and long
SNPs
assembly
mapread
inversion
indel
CNV
expression factor
exome

Other

The symposium will be archived and available online for 90 days. I will post the link here when I get it.

No comments: